COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information
The United States is in the midst of responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in China, and which has now been detected in countries around the world. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2,” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”). Health officials are currently taking steps to prevent the introduction and spread of COVID-19 into communities across the United States. Schools can play an important role in this effort.
U.S. Department of Education (US ED): COVID-19 ("Coronavirus") Information and Resources for Schools and School Personnel
- This webpage provides up to date information on the spread of COVID-19, and resources for elementary and secondary schools, and higher education institutions to distribute to staff, students and families.
- US ED Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) COVID-19 Guidance
- (OSERS understands the many challenges still facing individuals with disabilities and their families. This webpage includes recent factsheets and frequently asked questions and answers related to providing services to individuals with disabilities during the current coronavirus outbreak.
- US ED OSERS Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Serving Children with Disabilities
- US ED OSERS Questions and Answers on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Outbreak
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Interim Guidance on Management of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Correctional and Detention Facilities
- This document provides interim guidance specific for correctional facilities and detention centers during the outbreak of COVID-19.
- National Institute of Corrections (NIC) Coronavirus Information
- This webpage consolidates information and guidance from various federal resources related to COVID-19 and relevant to correctional and detention centers. Links include:
- Upcoming live events/information
- Guidance from the White House
- What the U.S. Government is doing in response to the virus
- The Bureau of Prison’s COVID Response
- US ED Institutes of Education Sciences Regional Educational Laboratories COVID-19: Evidence-Based Resources
- This webpage features evidence-based resources and guidance about teaching and learning in a remote environment.
- United States Interagency Council on Homelessness COVID-19 Guidance
- State COVID-19 Information
- Center for Educational Excellence in Alternative Settings (CEEAS) Instructional Resources During COVID-19 Shutdown
- This CEEAS webpage provides daily, high-quality and engaging lessons in English, Social Studies, Math and Science, as well as social and emotional learning, art, problem solving and design thinking for students centered around a weekly theme.
- Center for Juvenile Justice Reform - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Juvenile Justice and Child Welfare Systems
- The Council of State Government COVID-19 Resources
- Juvenile Justice COVID-19 Resources for Juvenile Services, National Partnership for Juvenile Services