Although a wide range of abilities often are represented in any cohort of students in a juvenile justice facility, a substantial number experience gaps in skills at the basic levels of phonological processing, oral reading fluency skills, and low levels of comprehension.
This webinar will highlight NDTAC’s recently released Meeting the Literacy Needs of Students in Juvenile Justice Facilities Second Edition. Author Dr. Terry Salinger will provide an overview of the Adolescent Literacy Guide and present the four research-based recommendations and the associated action-oriented strategies for increasing opportunities for students to improve their literacy skills and life-long literacy outcomes including:
- Ensuring facilities have necessary infrastructure,
- Using data for decision making,
- Providing comprehensive literacy programs, and
- Structuring intensive interventions.
This webinar will feature educators from a juvenile justice facility who are implementing one or more of the recommendations and strategies found in the guide as well as a list of resources for additional support.
- Join Waiting List for the session on Wed, 12/12/2018 - 2:00PM to 3:15PM EST